Choosing the right water filter for your home can be difficult if you don’t know what you need. The first step is to determine what problems you are having with your water. This will help you choose the filter that’s best to solve those problems. We’ll help show you what you should look for when buying a home water filter.
What are common water problems?
These are the most common problems found in the water in most people’s homes.
Hard water is caused by a build-up of minerals and heavy metals in your water. Hardness is determined by how much calcium and magnesium are in your current water supply. If you have hard water, you may notice these common problems at home:
- Water spots on your dishware and silverware after washing.
- Mineral stains left behind on your clothing after using your washing machine.
- A film-like feeling on your hands after washing, requiring you to wash longer.
- Low water pressure throughout your home in all of your appliances.
Hard water not only causes these problems, but if it’s left untreated, it can cause long-term damage to your water pipes and appliances. When there is a build-up of these minerals and metals in your water, it damages your pipes. This makes your appliances have to work harder, and it may also decrease the longevity of those appliances.
Bad Taste or Smell
It is never normal for your water to have a bad taste or smell to it. Water should be tasteless and odorless. If your water has a funny taste or smell to it, then it’s definitely time to look for a home water filtration system. There are many water contaminants that could be causing the bad smell or taste.
What Should I Look For in a Home Water Filter?
Once you’ve determined what water problems you are having, you can start to decide which water filtration system will be best for your home. There are several factors you may want to look out for when choosing a water filter. Some things to consider are the water quality, water pressure, storage capacity, maintenance, and your budget.
Types of Water Filtration Systems
- Whole House Water Filters – Whole home water filters don’t just filter your drinking water. They filter all of the water that you use in your home including in your shower, bath, sinks, and appliances. This is the best type of system will give you the best results for improved hair, skin, and overall health.
- Water Softeners – Water softeners will remove excess build-up from calcium, magnesium, and other minerals that cause hard water.
- Chlorine Water Filters – Chlorine water filters will remove up to 95% of the chlorine from your water supply.
- Tap Water Filters – Tap water filters make it so that you can drink water straight from your tap. They give you the purest drinking water you can have in your home.
- Reverse Osmosis Systems – Reverse osmosis systems are one of the most effective types of systems you can get today. They remove up to 99.9% of all contaminants from your water. These types of systems can even remove viruses that are transmitted through drinking water.